Saturday, January 10, 2015

Blog Post #5


Dear Follower(s),

            In the last month since I wrote my last blog, I have done a lot with my new project.  I changed my idea to carpentry before Holiday break, and during that time I have finished my first mini project of my project.  Before break I started build a backyard ski setup, complete with a ramp, jump, and pvc ski rail.  This was my first time actually building something out of wood, so it was totally a learning  experience for me.  Along with the help of my neighbor, who is an experienced carpenter, it took about 5 weeks to complete, working only on the weekends.  My neighbor helped me build the ramp, which had two parts, the tower and the slide part. This took us about 4 weeks to build, and then I built the jump and pvc rail by myself, with the skills that I learned from working with my neighbor. This first project was a big and difficult one, but I learned a lot of different skills because it was so different.

           I have wanted to learn carpentry forever, but I didn't really know where to start, which is why I was so happy that my neighbor showed me some of the basic skills. I have only been working on carpentry for a month, so these basic skills are very basic, like pre-drilling holes, using a miter saw, nailing, and screwing.  These basic skills are the building blocks of becoming a good carpenter, which is what I aspire to be.  I don't want to be a carpenter when I grow, I just want to be a guy that is good with tools and knows how to fix things around the I house, I want to be "handy".

           I have a few projects in mind that I want to do for my project, but I know that the next one I am doing will be a picture frame holder.  By the next I write my next blog, I hope to have already gone to the hardware store to pick up the supplies I need.

        See Ya!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment